Update: Congratulations to Josh Feil, Julian Waller, and Gabriel Gueguen! You have all won a digital copy of the "CryENGINE 3 Cookbook" courtesy of Packt Publishing! We have forwarded your information to Packt and they should be in touch soon with instructions on how to redeem your winnings!
Fall is finally here and we're kicking it off in style by teaming up with Packt Publishing to give you a chance to win one of three copies of their highly anticipated CryENGINE 3 Cookbook, authored by Crytek's own Dan Tracy and Sean Tracy. With the recent release of CryENGINE 3 this is the perfect time to jump in and start working with one of the most powerful game engines in the industry.
Thanks to everyone who participated and be sure to keep an eye out for upcoming contests and giveaways!
Contest Now Closed!
Overview of CryENGINE 3 Cookbook
- Begin developing your AAA game or simulation by harnessing the power of the award winning CryENGINE3
- Create entire game worlds using the powerful CryENGINE 3 Sandbox.
- Create your very own customized content for use within the CryENGINE3 with the multiple creation recipes in this book
- Translate your design into CryENGINE by following the easy step by step recipes exploring flow graph, track view, and many of the other tools within CryENGINE
Release Date: June 2011
Author(s): Dan Tracy, Sean Tracy
With every successive console generation, the cost, time, and complexity of developing games has grown. Meet CryENGINE3, a middleware engine that is the perfect fit for most developers allowing users to exceed current generation quality standards while using less people and time than ever thought possible.
The CryENGINE 3 Cookbook is packed full of recipes for junior and senior developers alike. It covers everything from creating photo realistic architectural visualizations to implementing advanced physics such as ragdoll and tornado effects. Topics covered include the sandbox, level layout, environment creation, AI, character creation, creating vehicles, and game logic. Every recipe is designed to add AAA quality to your games.
The CryENGINE3 SDK has many tools immediately available to developers of all disciplines. For designers the book has recipes for building up your own levels and populating your levels with intelligent AI and photo realistic assets. For artists we have recipes for practical workflow tools and techniques used when working with the advanced CryENGINE shaders and materials. For animators we have recipes that will bring your creations to life using skinned characters and advanced animation systems like locomotion groups. Finally for programmers we have recipes that show how to employ the core mechanics behind entities such as vehicles and weapons while also utilizing the strengths of the physics engine to create a unique and exciting game.
Get to grips with CryENGINE 3 and use the CryENGINE Sandbox editor a production-proven real-time game compositing tool suite designed and built by AAA developers.
What you will learn from this book:
- Navigate and interface within the CryENGINE Sandbox, the tool used to create AAA games like Crysis 2.
- Create your own levels and even entire worlds using recipes for sculpting and molding terrain.
- Model with the integrated tools available to designers and artists in the CryENGINE3 Sandbox.
- Use the cutting edge real time lighting technology of the CryENGINE to bring light to your worlds and explore the use of atmospherics and effects used for today’s newest games.
- Create and animate AAA characters and other objects for use with the CryENGINE Sandbox.
- Manipulate the advanced AI available to game designers in the CryENGINE3.
- Create your own cut scenes and videos using the power of the CryENGINE3 engine to maximize the output.
- Optimize your creations for optimal performance with maximum visual impact.
- Have fun following interesting game changing physical simulation recipes that can add unique game play opportunities to your levels.
- Use visual scripting to create amazingly complex events as seen in Crysis2.
Written in a cookbook style, this book offers solutions using a recipe based approach. Each recipe contains step-by-step instructions followed by an analysis of what was done in each task and other useful information. The cookbook approach means you can dive into whatever recipes you want in no particular order. The CryENGINE3 Cookbook is written to be accessible to all developers currently using the CryENGINE3. It also explores the depth and power of the CryENGINE3 and is a useful guide to follow when becoming familiar with this award winning middle-ware game engine.
Who this book is written for
This book is written with the casual and professional developer in mind. Fundamental knowledge of some Digital Content Creation Tools, like Photoshop and 3d Studio Max is required. The Software Development Kit version of the CryENGINE is used for all examples, so the reader should have a version of the development kit to follow the recipes contained in this book.
- 1 digital copy (ebook) of the "CryENGINE 3 Cookbook" awarded to 3 readers
- To enter, simply list one feature about the book that makes you want to own it in the comments section below.
- You may enter only once.
- Make sure to enter your real name and a valid email address so that we can contact you, if you're chosen as a winner.
- Entries will be accepted until Monday, October 10th, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Pacific Standard Time.
- Once the contest has closed, Packt Publishing will then choose the three winners.
- Winners will then be announced and notified via email.
The contest is now closed!
A big thanks to all of you who took the time to leave a comment and enter our "Cryengine 3 Cookbook" giveaway! The winners will be announced shorty, best of luck to everyone!
To learn more about the CryENGINE 3 Cookbook, visit the Packt Publishing website below.
Editor's note: This post was sponsored by Packt Publishing.
Editor's note: This post was sponsored by Packt Publishing.
Envato Tuts+ tutorials are translated into other languages by our community members—you can be involved too!Translate this post